CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Accountable Kids!

A couple months ago I went on a search for a good chore chart of some sort!!  I really couldn't find something that I loved that didn't require me to keep printing stuff out all the time, so I posted on Facebook asking for suggestions.  A friend of mine suggested Accountable Kids!  She uses their system and I had remembered her talking about it before, but wasn't looking for something at the time so I just forgot about it.
After talking everything over with my hubby, we decided to go for it!  And boy am I glad we did!
This program has made it easy to get my kids motivated to get their chores done!  My kids get up excited to get their chores done.  It's amazing, really!
It has really taught them about accountability & responsibility!  They have their chore cards for each time of the day and once they complete the chore they flip it over.  Once they are done with their morning chores (as well as afternoon, evening & weekend) they get a privilege pass.  If they earn their pass they are allowed to watch cartoons or play on the computer.  If they do not finish their morning chores then they do not earn that privilege.  The first few days there were many tears, but they quickly caught on and now it's nearly a non issue!  There is also opportunity to earn money, which we will soon be introducing to them.  Here's how we have personalized ours:
  
Probably the one thing I love the most is the flexibility with this system.  We are not really a "clean the bathroom every single day" kind of family.  Once a week is good for us.  So I was able to adjust how we use the cards in order to accommodate our weekend chores vs. weekday chores.  I love it.

The only thing that we don't use are the cards to earn stars for a special date.  We personally believe that special mommy & daddy dates are earned simply by being our child.  They should not have to do anything in order to earn special one on one time with us.  We are already in the habit of taking our kids on "mommy dates" and "daddy dates" so now to say they would have to earn those dates would be absolutely confusing for them.  We may end up using that card to earn something else, but we haven't decided yet, so for now we just don't use it.

I've had a few people ask me about this, and yes, I definitely recommend the Accountable Kids system if you need a little order to the chaos on your house!!!  Five stars!

3 comments:

Laura said...

This is so cool! I have never heard of anything like that. I am definitely saving that link. It's good to hear other people's opinions on these things, thanks for sharing!

Have a great weekend and Happy Mother's Day! :)

lillymac said...

Love your AK. Just bought mine and can't find cute letters. Where did you get your's?

Sarah said...

I got them at Michael's and then painted them myself! :) Hope that helps!